MASTERCLASSES AND WORKSHOPS
Each pianist arrived at the intersection of these two musical styles from opposing directions: Matt came to jazz via classical music, and John to classical via jazz.
Together, as Piano Caméléons, their combined voices have created a unique ensemble both in its virtuosity and artistic vision: the first ever piano duo that truly balances a classical sensibility with the freedom of jazz improvisation.
While on tour, Piano Caméléons are willing to share their artistic vision with students, non-professionals and all music l overs by means of educational activities and masterclasses tailored to the abilities of those interested.
90 minutes (approx.).
- Short introductory performance of pieces from their repertoire.
- Presentation of each pianist’s career and how duo came about.
- Matt and John unveil the mysteries of their creative process by inviting the audience to participate in manipulating the rhythm, texture and melody of a well-known work; this process will reveal basic and advanced techniques of improvisation, orchestration, as part of an an overall pianistic approach.
- They will demonstrate both these points and more specific ideas using pieces in their repertoire.
- The presentation concludes with a discussion and question period, followed by an encore performance.
RANGE OF TOPICS
Living in Harmony
- How to creatively integrate two disparate musical aesthetics while respecting the tradition of the original works.
- How to work together in an ensemble as two unique individuals.
- How to combine two niche musical styles and find a larger audience.
- How to involve the audience and musical community in the development of the project.
- How to integrate jazz harmonies into a classical language (advanced level).
- Musically: how to begin improvising (or continue, for advanced students), get away from the ‘written notes’, and develop one’s own musical language.
- Artistically : how to carve out a new and/or unexploited musical niche, and find one’s unique artistic identity.
- Professionally: how to promote/market a new musical idea, form a team around the project, and get your music heard
- Professionally : how to set objectives and work efficiently to achieve career goals.
ADDITIONAL COACHING SESSIONS
(Available on demand)
Both Matt and John are available individually after a workshop to continue working with targeted student groups:
- Matt can lead chamber music rehearsals and offer piano lessons to both classical and jazz players;
- John can workshop with a stage band, vocal jazz ensemble, combos and/or their respective rhythm sections and pianists.
According to requested services.
- Amplification and vocal microphones are to be provided by the venue.
- Coffee and bottled water to be made available prior to the performance.
Level I (Secondary school/intermediate)
- Workshops for this level will be designed in a more simplified version using a narrower range of topics than those listed above.
- We provide 2 upright pianos (should there be no instruments available) or one grand piano (7ft ) to compliment an available grand piano (6ft and above). (*)
No sound system is required for smaller rooms, but we can provide our own, if required.
- For larger rooms, we will use the venue’s equipment.
Level II (University/advanced)
- We provide on request 1 grand piano (7ft ) to compliment the venue’s grand piano (6ft and above). (*)
(*) For local markets only, Montreal, Québec City and Eastern Ontario, including Ottawa.